Blog image

Blog image

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sh*t happens...if you're lucky.

You've heard me mention my Posse before in these posts - a group of 9 women business owners (of which I just learned that I am the Sheriff!  Apparently the Sheriff's main responsibility is to run the Doodle Poll to plan the lunches...).  We've known each other since we first belonged to the Women President's Organization about 8 years ago, a small group of non-competing business owners that pay dues to the parent organization and follow a specific meeting format, serving as an informal Board of Directors or Advisory Council for each other.  A few years ago the 9 of us seceded from the group to form The Posse, and now meet for lunch every other month.  We still do 5-minute check-ins where we talk about what we're up to, but boy, how that conversation has changed!

When we first met, several of us were in our 40's, at peak performance in our companies and oh so serious about business.  What to do about HR issues, attorney referrals and lawsuit advice, how are we handling  insurance, advice for buying or selling a company.  Once we formed The Posse, we still shared business advice but also discussed issues with kids and divorce, Botox and injectables, vacation homes and trips.

Today, the oldest of us are in the back half of our 50's and many of us have sold our companies and are on to our next adventures.  For a couple of us, it's a new company and non-profit boards, for others, following a new direction in art or science, for another, a career break with lots of special interests.  No one is sitting still, but we're all intentionally simplifying our lives.  We're still interested in injectables and youth serums, but are now acutely aware of our health.  Exciting discussions of beach vacations and referrals for cosmetic surgery procedures quickly degenerated into discussions of the benefits of liver cleanses and colonics!

As we get older I'm struck by how we just become more of who we are.  The lovable whack-a-doodles (you know who you are) become even more whacky, the spiritual become even more spiritual - you get the idea (the bitchy are more experienced bitches, by the way; I'm okay with it).  Whether it's because of planetary shifts or phases of the moon or just the wisdom that comes with age, we're all a little more mellow.  Reluctant to judge, slower to anger, less likely to hold a grudge, quicker to laugh - certainly more tolerant.  One Posse Sister explained how dealing with a difficult business partner was a gift: the partner provided her with a "growth opportunity".  I've not evolved that far yet, but from now on, anytime someone pisses me off, I will pause to think of her and embrace my growth opportunity (or maybe just bitch about it because I'm THAT one).

We're all very different and that's what makes it great.  We don't need to understand everything to enjoy each other. And we don't need Red Hats to feel connected and a sense of belonging to a group.  I love my Posse and hope we're still meeting years from now to talk about the cliques in the retirement home or gossip about the gaudy casket that one of our relatives selected.  One of us has already decided to be the oldest living white woman:  she'll bury all of us.  Please make sure the wakes are tasteful but fun!  (Note from the Sheriff:  Don't bury me. I want a fun party with photos of when I was 30; cremate me and sprinkle my ashes over the nearest DSW...my kids are also aware of this).

As a result of our lunchtime conversation today:  wishing you all clean livers, low metal counts and healthy enzymes in your blood and regular bowel movements!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a story of your own for me? I'd love to tell it!